Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What We've Been Up To

Grandma Ila has been on my mind a lot lately. As you know Memorial Day just flew by. We all gathered and went to the cemetary on Sunday afternoon to carry on her tradition of decorating the graves. We can't afford to put a flower on every relative buried in the cemetary like she did, but we did our best. We spread the flowers out away from the marker and staked them down just like we were taught.

Then last Saturday part of the Petersen and Anderson familes went to the cabin in Bear Lake and did a complete cleaning of the cabin. Grandma always tried to get us to go over every spring and clean. We are ashamed to say it has been several years since we have gone. I somehow ended up with the wonderful job of cleaning the inside of the stove. I think we figured out it hadn't been done since Grandma got sick the first time, which would have been about 10 years. I am proud to report that you can now tell the stove is steel and not black. Everyone worked their tails off and the cabin looks awesome. The family has now grown to the point that if we all go over we don't have enough room to sleep everyone. The last 2 years for the 4th of July we have taken our trailer and stayed in it, but we haven't found a new one yet. We were able to arrange the beds and such that we now have more floor space for air mattresses so we should be able to sleep everyone who will be there this year. Of course some people think it is more fun to go to Alaska (Brett and Chelsea) and Hawaii (Brian and Sher) than the cabin in Bear Lake with us. Can you believe it? I'm so jealous.

So combined with that and my having moved into Grandma's/Robert's house I have just thought a lot about Grandma and what a wonderful example she was to us all. She was an amazing woman and has left a wonderful legacy in her children, grandchildren and now great-grandchildren. She would be so thrilled with all these new babies. We will have to be sure to have a dance with them for her. She would be so proud of us all.

--Kami

5 comments:

Mindy M. said...

Kami, I am so glad to read good news from your family!! Sorry about the hospital visit, again!! Good thing the deductible has been met. I love reading the blog and hear what is going on up there in that neck of the woods!! Hope all is well and everyone stays healthy!! Take care!!

Emily M said...

That was a nice post, Kam. We did for sure work our tails off- and again I am glad it was you not me that cleaned the oven. You did an awesome job. We are so blessed to have such wonderful family and a grandma who was the best! I miss her daily.

Anonymous said...

Everytime I go to do laundry I think of Ila's instructions on how to 'do laundry properly.' AND laughing so much with her. I think the thing I remember the most is how much she loved Keith. She took care of him when he needed it most. We miss her too! Love you guys.

Nicole said...

I love reading your blog. I can just see aunt Ila telling you how to secure those flowers. I am so sorry to hear about Jan's most recent hospital stay. I think that it is safe to say, that your family has had its fair share of excitement lately. I hope that your Summer is BORING and UNEVENTFUL. Jan we hope that you have a speedy recovery!

Natalie said...

Gotta love the visits to the cemeteries. Greg asked me this year how long we were planning on staying at each cemetery and if we needed to bring two cars. I guess after six years he finally figured out it takes awhile to get the graves up to Granny's standard!

I'm so glad the cabin is cleaned and can't wait to enjoy it this summer!