Marijka's ipod has been having some problems lately. We found out it was still under warranty but we would have to take it down to Salt Lake to the Apple store. Kami got an appointment for Monday and my mom and I were nominated for the task since we didn't have anything going on. I was not happy about it. A trip to Salt Lake was not how I wanted to spend my day off.
Our appointment was at 3:40 so my mom and I left at 2:00. We stopped at the new Flying J in Brigham to get a drink. I decided to wait in the car and my mom was going to run in really fast so we could be on our way. For some reason I noticed a car about 3 spaces away getting ready to leave. It was a couple and the wife was driving. I watched it back up in my mirror and it started to drive away when it came to an abrupt stop. It was so sudden I turned around to see what was going on. The wife was slumped over into the passenger seat with the husband leaning over her. I thought for a minute she had maybe passed out. Then I saw the husband's face and he was yelling at her. She sat up and he punched her really hard in the face. She got out of the car and went to a Salt Lake Shuttle bus that was at the gas tank by the car. Her face was bruised and bleeding. I was out of my car, heading over to get her when they put her on the bus so I got back in the car. The husband moved their car back to the parking space and headed over to the bus. The woman didn't want anything to do with him so the bus driver kept him away.
At this point my mom come out of the store. I was shaking and really upset. I told her I had almost called the police and was wondering if maybe I still should. I explained what had happened and she said to drive over and we would give her my information in case she decided to press charges. My mom went over and talked to them. The bus driver didn't know what to do. He had a schedule to keep and couldn't take her with him. We moved her into our car. Her poor eye was swollen and turning purple. She had a cut underneath her eye that was bleeding. I ran and got her some ice. She didn't want the police to come but one of the ladies from the bus called them anyway. She was a police dispatcher and said that something like this couldn't go unreported. The lady wanted me to go over and tell her husband the cops were coming and he should leave. Of course I didn't.
It seemed like it took forever but the cops finally showed up. The husband was arrested and taken to jail. They had me write up my statement. It turns out I was the only one who saw it happen. The took pictures of the lady's face. She didn't want them to but my mom was able to talk her into it. She seemed to be in shock and was embarrassed about all the fuss. When we started talking to the lady we found out she was here visiting from Texas. Her name was Franny and she had been married 30 years and nothing like this had ever happened before. We told her not to worry about anything. We could take her wherever she needed to go. They were on there way to Salt Lake. She had a flight home on Tuesday. We told her we would take her down and get her another car or a hotel room. Whatever she needed.
The ambulance showed up a little while after the cops. The cop must have seen her face and decided she needed medical help. The paramedics couldn't get her cut to close so they took her to the Brigham City hospital. My mom and I worked it out with the cop that we would follow them there and wait for her to be stitched up and then take her wherever she needed to go. We waited in the ER for awhile then the cop came out and told us the victims advocates had come and talked to Franny. She had realized she was the victim and was feeling a little better. The doctor taped her cut but she didn't need stitches so she was going to take the rental car from the gas station and head to the airport. She had changed her flight for Monday night which was good because if she waited until Tuesday she could have ended up on the same flight as her husband. He was going to be spending the night in jail but would probably be out Tuesday morning. Franny had asked the cop to get our information so she could properly thank us. We gave it to him, he thanked us for all our help and we were on our way.
We had missed our appointment with Apple but decided to go down anyway. We got to the store and ended up with this guy helping us who was a real jerk. He told that there wasn't anyway the ipod was still under warranty so we would just have to buy a new one. We asked if he had checked the computer to see if it was under warranty and he hadn't. He was convinced it wasn't. We finally got it to check and wasn't he surprised when it was under warranty until the 9th. He told us we could switch it for a new one but that we would have to get an appointment and there weren't anymore today. We would have to come back Tuesday. We told him we had an appointment and something unexpected had come up causing us to miss it. We explained we had come all the way from Logan but he didn't care. What a jerk. Kami and my mom had to take it back down on Tuesday.
We decided to try and salvage our day with dinner and a movie. We got tickets to the dollar theater for Twilight and went to Pei Wei for dinner. We shared some lettuce wraps which were fantastic. We also shared a noodle bowl that we thought sounded good. It had a symbol saying it was spicy but we thought we could handle it. We were wrong. It was like eating fire. I thought my lips were going to fall off. I was almost crying from eating it. It was quite an experience. My mouth still hasn't recovered.
We were able to end the night with a great movie. If you haven't seen Twilight yet, I would highly recommend it. It was a relief when we finally made it home that night at 11p.m. It was a day that I will never forget.
It is really amazing how things worked out so that I was in the right place at the right time. I always go in the store with my mom but for some reason decided to wait in the car that day. My noticing the car was a miracle itself. I am one of the least observant people. I never take the time to notice things going on around me. I am so thankful that I was able to be there to help Franny.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a crazy experience, but so like you and your mom to help some random person in need. I have been the recipient of your family's kindness more than once. (And hopefully will be again in the future.) :) I hope she is okay and they can get everything figured out. I'm so proud of you for taking the time to help.
P.S. I still haven't seen Twilight. What's up with that? I'm the one who got all of you reading those blasted books and I'm the only one who hasn't even seen the movie. I've got to see it before it leaves the theater.
Talk about a crazy experience! I have to ask about the noodles at pei wei. Were they the Blazing Noodles? If so, I had those once and they jacked me up. I lost all my senses. I couldn't smell, my vision got blurry, my hearing was muffled, my eyes watered like crazy. I've never had anything do that to me ever. Please confirm!
Post a Comment