Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Look Back at 2008

So we said goodbye to 2008 and hello to 2009 with a fun party with our family and friends. Every year we have always hoped for a better year to come but this year our goal is to just "Enjoy the Journey". As the quote says, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain." Before we get too far into the new year I think we need to look back one more time at 2008 and reflect on the many blessings that were bestowed upon our family last year.

* Mom's shoulder surgery went well and she recovered quickly from it.

* We were able to go on several fun trips to St. George to visit Roy and Mary Ann and her family.

* Mom's knee replacement was successful and she was able to go to rehab for her therapy, because in all honesty she would not have done the therapy she needed at home because she has not continued it since coming home. We were blessed with a doctor who knew her well enough to know what she needed.

* We were able to go to Yellowstone with the Petersen's this summer.

* Janalee was blessed to go to a doctor who recognized her thyroid cancer on an MRI and got her to the doctor she needed. He was able to treat it quickly and effectively. Things are looking really well for a complete recovery.

* We were able to spend an awesome week on the beach in Mexico.

* Dad, Marijka and I lived through the car accident when by all rights we shouldn't have.

* My injuries in the accident healed up fairly quickly with only a few minor lasting problems.

* We were able to recover so many of our belongings that should have been ruined in the accident but weren't even damaged.

* Tyler's hernia operation went well and he had no complications.

* After a cycle of jobs Tyler is back at his old jobs at Miller Autobody and Beaver Mountain working with people he likes and enjoys working with. This makes him much more pleasant to be around.

* Janalee's gall bladder surgery came after she had met her out of pocket maximum for the year on her insurance so it wasn't a big problem financially. And also she was already missing school for her cancer so it was kind of like a 2 for 1 deal. Double the pain and agony for the same price :)

* Grandpa and Grandma Anderson celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary a couple of months before he passed away.

* Marlee was able to get a job which provides health insurance and enough hours for her to make a little money. It would be better if it wasn't a night shift, but who are we to complain, it's a job.

* We were able to spend the holidays together.

* Grandpa Anderson didn't have to suffer for long before he passed away. It was hard to lose him, but would have been worse to have to watch him suffer.

* Grandpa's passing has brought us much closer to Grandma Pauline. We see her much more and are forming a relationship with her we have never had before.

* Dad's surgery to remove the cysts in his hand went well and he recovered quickly.

* I was able to find a new job with the School District and the timing of the whole experience was excellent as there are now no employees even left at my old place of employment. My boss told me the other day that he was watching TV and he figured out who I reminded him of. In my mind I thought, "Well this could be good or bad, but knowing Dale it will definitely be interesting." He said I'm like the machine on The Cat and The Hat who comes in at the end and just cleans up and puts everything back to rights in the blink of an eye. He said I'm always a step ahead of him and he really appreciates it. I thought that was an interesting compliment and it made me feel good.

* Mom and Dad celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary.

And the last but probably the most important blessing we had in 2008 were the family and friends who gave us so much love and support through the many trials we went through in 2008 and always.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Reading this made me realize what a truly insane year 2008 was for your family! Lots of craziness, but lots of blessings!

However, I'm such offended that you forgot to mention the BEST thing to come out of 2008. I'll give you a clue--he has red hair, the cutest smile you've ever seen, and LOVES your family. :)

Michelle said...

Reading this makes you realize how many blessings there are all the time and especially this year for you guys!
Hey Kami, I was also wondering if I could get some of those pictures from Christmas Eve at the party, if you have time. My email is hot_pink_poke@hotmail.com I didn't get very many of the family at the party and would love to have them. Thanks!

Klint said...

You guys have had quite a year. Through it all it still looks like you have had a lot of good times as well. I hope 2009 is your best year ever.